Prepare for your trip

  • Book your tickets.
  • Learn what you can and cannot bring into Canada.
  • Find out what weather to expect when you arrive so that you know what to wear when you travel and what clothes to take with you.

Organize important documents

Here are the documents you will need when you arrive. Do not put these documents in your suitcase. Keep them with you when you travel.

  • Your passport(s)
  • Your Canadian Immigrant Visa and/or confirmation of Permanent Residence
  • A list of all the goods you are bringing with you
  • A list of any goods that will be arriving later
  • A Canadian mailing address to give to the immigration officer when you arrive at the airport so that you can apply for your Permanent Resident Card

Prepare for your arrival

  • Before you leave, find a temporary place to stay as soon as you arrive in Canada. This could be a hotel or the home of a friend or relative. Learn more from Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
  • Think about where you are going to live permanently. The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) can give you information about renting and buying.
  • You will need to bring enough money to live on for the first 6 to 12 months. To find out how much you will need, visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
  • Be prepared to open a bank account before you leave or as soon as you arrive. Learn about your banking options.
  • Find out what kind of driver’s licence you will need if you want to drive in Canada. Each province has its own rules.
  • Find out what kind of health-care coverage you will get when you arrive. Also, find out if you will get coverage immediately or if you will have to wait; each province is different. You may want to buy private medical insurance before you leave so that you can protect yourself and your family as soon as you arrive.

Plan for your future

  • Bring important family documents with you. These include birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce papers, medical reports, etc. Arrange to have important documents translated into English or French and ask a lawyer to certify them.
  • Bring all of your high school, college and university diplomas and certificates with you. Also bring official documents that show your marks. Arrange to have these documents translated into English or French – you will need these if you plan to work or study in Canada.
  • Learn what programs are available in your new Canadian province or territory through the Government of Canada.
  • Think about the type of work you may want to do in Canada. For some jobs, you will need special licensing, certification or registration. You may be able to apply before you arrive.
  • Learn about Canadian job opportunities. Find out what services are available to help you find work when you arrive.