Even if you are good at managing your money, it is easy to spend more than you thought you would. CIBC Smart Prepaid Visa Cards can help you manage your spending. Unlike a credit card, where you are borrowing money for a short time that you will have to pay back, prepaid cards use money you already have. And unlike a debit card, you’re not directly taking money out of your bank account every time you use the card, so you can’t spend more than you want to.
How CIBC Smart Prepaid Visa Cards work
CIBC Smart Prepaid Visa Cards are available at any CIBC Banking Centre or through CIBC Online Banking. Once you have a card, you simply decide how much money you want to put on it and then load your own money to the card from an active CIBC personal bank account including the US$ Personal Account or personal line of credit. You can then use your card to shop wherever Visa is accepted.
You can check your card balance online. When your balance is low, you can put more money on the card. The funds on the card never expire.
CIBC offers a range of prepaid cards. Some of them are:
- The CIBC Smart™ Prepaid Visa Card, for everyday spending in Canadian dollars
- The CIBC Smart™ Prepaid Travel Visa Card, for spending in foreign currencies when you travel
About the CIBC Smart Prepaid Visa Card
The CIBC Smart Prepaid Visa Card lets you shop easily and securely using Canadian dollars. You can:
- Shop at stores, online or by phone, wherever Visa is accepted
- Spend on your own terms – load only what you need, when you need it
- Withdraw cash from ATMs that have the Visa or Plus symbol on them, anywhere in the world
- Pay for small purchases easily with Visa payWave® – a feature that lets you pay by waving your card over the merchant’s payment terminal
About the CIBC Smart Prepaid Travel Visa Card
The CIBC Smart Prepaid Travel Visa Card is ideal for travelling. Instead of putting Canadian dollars on this card, you load it with one of four foreign currencies. You only pay the foreign exchange rate once, at the time you get your prepaid card. With this card, you can:
- Manage your foreign currency when you travel
- Lock in your rate1 when you load your card and avoid foreign exchange surprises
- Pay for purchases wherever Visa is accepted2
- Shop in 1 of 4 foreign currencies: US dollars, Euros, British pounds or Mexican pesos
Smart Prepaid Visa cCards are a safe choice
- Chip technology keeps your money safe and secure
- Verified by Visa helps protect your money even more when you shop online
- Visa’s Zero Liability Policy means that if someone steals your card or your card details and makes fraudulent purchases, you will not be responsible for these purchases as long as you meet your obligations
- Active Fraud Monitoring helps protect your money by looking out for fraudulent purchases
Get more information about Prepaid cards at CIBC.